One of the latest fads are exercise trackers. Apple Watch, FitBit, Polar, etc. People are buying these like crazy. I see people at the mall wearing them, people at work wearing them, and even my kids are wearing them. Why are they so popular? Simple… They WORK! Wearing a fitness trackers is
Two years ago I was 50lbs over weight. I was lazy, I exercised but not how I should have. I went through the motions, did my 30 – 60 minutes in the gym and left. 15 months ago I got an apple watch and focused on the health monitoring of the watch. It was pretty cool. The apple watch monitors three areas (Active Calories Burned, Exercise time, and Standing). It fills in a circle as you complete the goal. I thought it was fun and focused on getting these every day. Within 3 months I had lost over 30lbs and I have kept it off for over a year now. I contribute most of the weight loss to the method Apple uses.
I have always used fitness tracking devices. Apple Watch, FitBit, Polar, and Garmin are all great. You just need to find the one that works for you. Each has their own way of tracking fitness and all work. You just have to put the work in. FitBit is the easiest to use. While Polar and Garmin are the most advanced. You can get greater detailed information on your workouts with Polar and Garmin.
I have found that I have 8 reasons why I wear a fitness tracker. Those 8 reasons are:
- Motivates and Encourages You To Exercise More. – Many ways to award you. Step goals, calories goals, compete against friends, earn badges, etc.
- Work in the Proper Targeted Heart Rate. – Higher heart rate zones are not the best way to burn fat. Higher impact exercise or higher heart rate actually burns more sugar. It’s lower heart rate zones that burn more fat. Exercise like weight training or walking. A fitness tracker with a heart rate monitor lets you know which zone you work working out in. The fat burning zone or the sugar burning zone.
- Do Daily Goals to do Larger Long Term Goals. – Fitness trackers set daily goals for you like calorie burns, steps, exercise minutes, etc. As you complete daily goals it helps lead you to longer terms goals. This leads to greater fat loss, increased cardiovascular health, and better health.
- Track Sleep – Sleep is essential to living a healthier life. Most of these fitness trackers will track sleep automatically. Most people need 7 – 9 hours of sleep each night. Not just time but quality of sleep is just as important. Fitness trackers will tell you how many times you woke up. Giving a breakdown of restful sleep hours and restless sleep hours.
- Track Metrics – I am a big metrics person. I like to see how many times I ride my bike over the year, how many miles, how many weight training workouts I had, etc. Fitness Trackers sync the data to your phone or computer where you can better analyse the data. I like to track metrics just because I like to push myself harder and harder each day.
- Records History – Similar to tracking metrics, I like to have a recorded history. I can add notes to the workout sessions highlighting exactly what I did and how I felt.
- Easy to Use. – You don’t need to be an expert to know if you are doing good or not. FitBit is the easiest or the Polar Loop. You just wear them and they will record everything for you throughout the day. Even the most difficult watch by Polar or Garmin is so much easier then they were 4 or 5 years ago. Just wear the tracker and it does the recording for you.
- Holds You Accountable for Your Workouts. – Once you get started with a tracker you will grow to love them and make them part of your everyday life. You will look forward to accomplishing the days tasks. This holds you accountable and you will not want to stop or break your streak. You will work towards that next badge, achieve your goal, or compete against your friends.
Those are the main reasons I love to wear a fitness tracking device. I attribute to losing nearly 40lbs to the use of these trackers to help me. If you don’t have one they can be as cheap as $60 for a decent one. Trust me the investment is worth it. You don’t need to spend hundreds but between $60 – $120 will get you some nice devices. I have used and tried dozens of these trackers and watches. I will have a future article on my top fitness trackers.
This was Tip 3 of 6 Ways To Exercise More Each Week. Quick Links to the articles are listed below:
Tip 5: December 1
Tip 6: December 8
Do you have a fitness tracker? If so what one? Comment below and let us know what you like about it.